APPAMADA

Hi everyone,

I was listening to the recording of the last group on 1/4 and around 34:30 there is talk about a writer.  Lisa says something like "being mortal" and Peg says, "beautiful, beautiful, writer and references his pieces in the New Yorker.  I think I hear the name David Whyte but can't tell what is being referenced from the conversation.  Can anyone assist?

I miss you guys but am following along with the rest of the book.  I'll be with you in spirit.

David

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Hi David!  We miss you.  Say "hi" to Susan.

I was referring to Being Mortal:  Medicine and What Matters in the End, by Atul Gawande.

The Appamada Retirement Group is reading it.  It's beautifully written;  that's what Peg was referring to.

I highly recommend it.  It examines in depth the relationship between doctors, patients, and honesty in explaining consequences of decisions in cases where the patient really can't be fixed. He talks a lot about quality of life, and the importance of physician's asking their patients what it is they most hope for in their final years/days.

Thank you Lisa...

Hi David,

I'm glad to hear from you, please said hello to Susan from me and I miss you both of you.

I will.  Thanks Sandra.  I really miss you all.

RSS

Appamada is not just the occasional mindful thought or attentive state of mind, it’s actually a commitment to being attentive. It’s more than just a meditative state of mind, it’s more than just being mindful. It has to do with that primary ethical or moral orientation we have in life, with which we bring into being whatever activity we’re engaged in. Whether in formal meditation, in our interactions with other people, in our social concerns, or in our political choices, it’s the energetic cherishing of what we regard as good.

—Stephen Batchelor

Events

© 2018   Created by Peg Syverson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service